Wednesday 31 August 2011

Head Injury Week 5 and 6: getting there?

It wasn’t till I reflected on the past few weeks that I remembered and realised that there have been more small improvements. There are still a string of frustrating side effects though: I am now at the point that I tend to forget that some things could still be related to the head injury.
Beijing (the world championships) is now frighteningly close, only just over a week away. I feel completely unprepared. I have to work hard to focus on the fact that my targets and goals are very much changed from their original, and that I am still in fact lucky to be alive. I am still going on my reverse pacing plan, start easy, finish up running for my life, so to speak!
I still cannot remember a thing about the accident. I have a large expanse of blank time I cannot explain. I have accepted the fact that I will never actually know what happened.
The current symptoms:
·       Dizziness. In week 6, I realised that the intermittent dizziness is getting much much better. I notice the dizzy spells a lot less.
·       Mostly I notice dizziness after a change in training pace, for example most noticeable in week 5 after completing a hard 200m track sprint.
·       I still have to get up slowly, if I stand up after sitting for a while, I can get a little dizzy
·       Forgetfulness. This one is frustrating. I cannot remember stupid trivial things and have had to adopt the idea of writing lists all the time!
·       Emotional. I still notice incredible mood swings, from incredibly positive to the depths of despair in a flash. I cannot control it.
·       Fatigue. This is still my biggest bug bear. If I set off on a training session and ignore the slugglish feeling and fatigue symptoms, then further down the road I will hit a temporary wall, and almost come to a halt. I still have to start all my training very slowly, and build it up in intensity. I am still way below par, so much so i dont look at my garmin data any more, it just makes me cross!
·       Concentration. This is improving I have to say but sometimes I simply cannot focus on what I need to do. This has made me go the wrong way on regular car trips to places I know well, for example. A little annoying, but I do warn people that I may need to be told things twice when I am feeling like this. It still means that I struggle to get everything completed in a day.
·       Memory. People are regularly telling me that they told me that last week, last month, and I don’t remember. Especially with work. I am concerned that on my return they have and will underestimate the impact of this head injury on what I could and can do / cannot do.
People say they are impressed with what I have achieved to get to this point. I don’t understand. You are faced with a situation and you deal with it. What choice does one have?
I am happy I am still here, thankful I was wearing that helmel, and am still pleased to say that helmets DO save lives!

1 comment:

  1. Keep going Mel, as a fellow triathlete (although you're in a different league to me!) I understand that it's only when things get really tough that you find out what lies deep inside you. As you say, it's something you've been forced to deal with, but you're dealing with it extraordinarily well. I wish you the very best of luck in Beijing - enjoy being there and maybe you'll surprise yourself! Jill

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.