Monday 8 August 2011

Powerbreathe trial week 7: Project regain fitness commences!

SCAT concussion test round 3 started my week, and I am pleased to report that I was declared 'almost back to normal' whatever that means!
The dizzy spells are intermittent and getting more so, which is a good sign. All that remains, symptom wise, is that I am still unable to tilt my head or bend over to reach low down objects, which is a little irritating but MILES better than it has been. 
I have started gentle training outside again, have been back on the bike and past the crash site. I am also able to run outside too without mishap, but getting the pace back will be slow steady steps I think. I did a track session with my coach this week too, the first 'proper' exercise since the accident, 3.5 weeks. I expected it to be very tough. It was!! BUT, i took the inhaler, and did not in fact need it at all. I think its just a security blanket!
I have started back using the Powerbreathe, and was able to carry on at level 4 without too much trouble. at the end of the week, I increased it to level 5, which impressed me, still making progress in the breathing exercises, despite the head injury set back.
I finished my week off with a race, despite the better judgement of many people. I wanted to see how I did, whether the head injury was still an issue with regards to dizziness, and whether I was actually able to complete a triathlon. This would be a good indicator of whether I will be able to make it to the World Championships in China next month. The race went ok, no dizziness, nausia or headaches, and although more tired than normal (which was to be expected) I completed the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.