Sunday 14 August 2011

The New athlete eating plan week 2



Oh dear oh dear. I am finding this rather tough. It is a drastic change, very drastic. I complained to my husband about how impossible it was, how it was NEVER going to work, I could NEVER keep this up... his response has been ringing in my ears ever since.
He asked me why, when I was so disciplined with the training my coaches gave me to do (which I always do without failure and without question) was I not applying the same logic to this? Eating different was a new discipline, and I just simply had to learn it.
That told me didn’t it.

Things I am finding hard:
·        Not being able to spontaneously make whatever I fancy eating.
·        The absence of sugar / saturates.. meaning ice cream, crisps, biscuits, fruit, (the quantity I can eat has been cut right back) bread, (I don’t eat it much but the odd slice would be nice!) sweets, chips, crackers, flavoured yoghurts, desserts, cakes, puddings... need I go on?? Yes, I mentioned this last week too!
(Will Clarke, Elite GB triathlete said to me on twitter the other week that if he was told he could not eat bread, he would collapse!)
·        Not being able to eat the vegetarian option
·        Lack of freedom
·        Eating so much salad!

What I have noticed:
·        That sandwich I ate when I was marshalling in London last week and had to buy in because I failed to plan ahead... it wasn’t actually that nice!
·        When you deviate even slightly from this plan, you see BIG results... not necessarily good ones! Clearly everything is measured to exact amounts. I am not used to that.
·        Not eating sugary stuff – eventually you get used to it, however I you then have that cheeky chocolate pudding, then you’re right back to square one! L

Result: because I was not that good, and ate forbidden food for one whole day, while also not really training that much still... gain of 2lb. Must try harder next week. LL

You can read about week 1 on the new athlete diet here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.