Friday 12 August 2011

Head injury week 3 and 4: Project regain fitness begins

I have come to realise that a head injury is a little known and little appreciated thing. Why? Because I wish I had £5 for each person that has said to me this week ‘oh, gosh I am glad to see you have fully recovered now’.
I spoke to another head injury victim today. He was not a cyclist, it was completely different circumstances. However there were similarities. Natural assumptions. The problem with a head injury is all the symptoms are inside my head so how do YOU know how well I am? You don’t. You aren’t expected to. Therefore you assume. We all do.
The current symptoms:
·        I still can’t bend over and touch my toes while sanding, or get a plate from the bottom shelf, or pick something up from the floor without feeling incredibly dizzy. I stagger and look drunk to someone who doesn’t know. I have to think carefully, and crouch while trying to keep my head straight and facing forwards.
·        I am not too good at sudden changes of direction. I did hill sprints with my coach this week, and at the top of the hill we had to count to 5 before turning round to go back down, in case I fell over.
·        I recently discovered that looking up is actually much worse than anything at the moment for inducing dizziness. That could be dangerous because it makes me feel like I am falling backwards.
·        Fatigue. It’s like a tidal wave that arrives unannounced. There is nothing at all I can do about it. I got my garmin back this week from repair. I have decided ignorance was bliss. I went for a run with it on my wrist the other day, and realised I was nowhere near well yet. The pace was way down, and the heart rate was way up. It makes it all very difficult to deal with emotionally and I find it hard to avoid getting frustrated, which is a waste of energy because I know it’s not me, it’s the head injury. I recover from heart rate zone 5 to Zone 1 inside a minute, but I just can’t sustain the power.
·        Headaches. Aren’t often, but are a sign that I am working too hard and need to stop and slow down
·        Apathy. I have to work hard to motivate myself some times. I can happily sit in a vegetated state, which is VERY unlike me.
·        Linear balance. I only found out the other day that the single leg squats that I had actually got quite good at were at the moment almost impossible. I look like I have been on the ale when I try them!
·        Mood swings. This is the hardest one to handle. I can swing from feeling fine to the pit of despair with no warning. It must be incredibly hard for my husband to deal with. I can at times have a very short fuse, lose all patience, find the most ridiculous of things frustrating and irritating. There have been many rows, and I feel a bit bad. I don’t mean it. It like I cant control my brain sometimes, it goes onto auto-heal autopilot!
·        Concentration. This is getting better, but at times I still struggle.
·        The thought fog. I can say that I am almost there with this one now, but I on reflection, can see that I had some severe symptoms in this area. I couldn’t think straight and couldn't rationalise.
·        Memory. Sounds ridiculous, but it’s like the thump on my head has erased my ability to remember simple, trivial day to day things. I feel like an old lady because I have to write everything down!
A head injury is a roller coaster. I still can’t get half the things done in a day that I used to manage. But it is improving. I went to the pool at 6.30am today to swim. Last week that simply would not have been possible at all.
Yes, I look fine. I can walk in a straight line, talk sense, drive a car. Am I recovered? No. Far from it. It will be a long road, and I must continue to note the small every changing improvements each week on the road to recovery.
·        Bending over only intermittently causes me problems now.
·        I can walk without holding onto things
·        I no longer feel the merry-go-round feeling when I get up in the morning
·        Memory is still not as it used to be but I don’t repeat asking the same question any more like I was doing
·        I have been able to sustain short bursts of tempo paced training and not got dizzy afterwards
·        I completed a pool sprint triathlon – ok, not an earth shattering time, but I did it, without falling over.
·        Although training still starts sluggish, I can see the improvements even within a session. Its heading the right way at least!
·        I recognise symptoms when they start and have the sense to slow down. I think I am better at this because I truly value my life and what that MET helmet did for me more than you may realise
·        I am still alive. I could have been dead.
Onwards and upwards.
I will have to decide on whether to go to China for the Worlds some time soon. That will be a tough one.

Head injury sucks. Helmets DO save lives.

2 comments:

  1. Mel, I never knew that recovery from head injury was like this. Really admire your courage and determination to take this on and working to stop others having to go through this, or worse. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue. I, and I think many others perhaps underestimate a head injury. It has not been pleasant at all. Many people look at you and think you are ok now, when in fact that is not the case.

    I can only hope to continue to get the message out about the importance of helmets, I certainly consider myself extremely lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.