Wednesday 27 July 2011

Tim Ellis: Helmets save lives

During the winter of 1990 I was involved in a 'hit & run' accident in Blackheath London - the bike was a right off and I, luckily suffered only minor injuries which is a miracle considering I was only wearing a baseball cap. This was my first 'wake up call' to the real dangers of cycling on the UK's roads. The driver who deliberately caused this accident was never caught despite Police efforts and I could have been dead.
The following day I was marched to the nearest bike shop by my girlfriend and was made to buy a cycling helmet. It felt odd at first, slightly uncomfortable too but after a few days I barely noticed it - within weeks it was part of my essential cycling attire.

Fast forward 3 years

I'm on my 3rd helmet even though I've had zero crashes. I'm casually riding passed Canary Wharf in London and disaster strikes - I take my eye off the road for a second not noticing that a pedestrian has stepped out in front of me. I swerve to avoid but go straight over the handlebars and head first into the road splitting my helmet in two. I shudder to think what would have happened if I wasn't wearing that helmet. If not death then without doubt serious brain damage.

Fast forward again to present day

I have crashed badly over the last two weekends with my head taking the initial impact both times. I am a mountain biker and I ride fast, both impacts have been horrendous and off road too. The latter accident has kept me off work for a week with a broken arm and some time in hospital. But what surprised me the most during my time in hospital was the concern the doctors had when I mentioned I had blurred vision - they treated this far more seriously than the 3 fractures because of the serious nature of head injuries. I was unaware that the symptoms of a head injury can lay dormant for days without the patient even knowing there is an issue. After a few tests I was given the 'all clear' but this could have been a very different story if I wasn't wearing a helmet.

Tomorrow I am back to work and will be purchasing another new helmet - its "the best life insurance money can buy".

I want to mention my friend & housemate who has currently been off work the past 2 weeks following a horrific cycling accident in Guildford that closed major roads and put him in hospital for 3 days with a serious leg injury - the Police are prosecuting one of the 2 drivers involved.

Despite his leg injury and despite the fact he should be cycling around the French Alps this week he is lucky to be alive - why? Because he was wearing a helmet, its that simple.
I've seen whats left of it and its horrifying to think what this story could have been if he wasn't wearing his lid.
Tim Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.