Thursday 28 July 2011

Melanie's narrow escape inspires helmet warning

Published in the Herald and Post, Thursday 28th July 2011

A TRIATHLETE is keen to pass on the message – wearing a cycle helmet saved her life.

Melanie Ryding, from Wellingborough, a secondary special needs teacher at Rushden
Community College, recently woke up in hospital after being involved in a cycling accident.
All Mrs Ryding can remember is she came off her bike during a routine ride through Little Harrowden when she was approaching a roundabout but beyond that everything is a blur.
She was found by a driver lying in the road but there were no witnesses and no one knows exactly what happened.

The next thing she knew she was waking up in hospital where she was being treated for concussion.


“I have no memory at all of what happened. All I remember is waking up in hospital with concussion as my head hit something with force.

Cycle safe: Melanie Ryding
 
“I wouldn’t be speaking to you now if I had not been wearing a helmet. I didn’t feel very well after the accident.”

In the days following the incident, Melanie complained of feeling dizzy, had a terrible headache and constantly felt drowsy.

She compared the dizzy feeling to just like stepping off a merrygo- round which she said was not too pleasant.

Mrs Ryding, who has represented Great Britain at the World and European level for the past three years, wants to pass on the message to anyone who will listen – wearing a cycle helmet when out on your bike could save your life.



Mrs Ryding, 39, said: “My helmet cracked into three pieces and I do not know what would have happened to me if I had not been wearing a helmet.

BY LAWRENCE JOHN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.