Thursday 14 July 2011

Powerbreathe trial: week 3 - back to tough training!

This was the start of the hard work training again. After a week of recovery post European champs, it was right back to tough hard fast training. I had my first track session in about 8 weeks with my run coach this week on Monday.

I forgot my asthma inhaler in the rush to get there in time. This made coach nervous but it would be a perfect chance to see if the Powerbreathe was making any difference. I ran a hard tough track sprint session, almost to the point of feeling unwell. It was very tough on the lungs, and although I got the pain in my chest that usually comes before wheezing, I didnt get any wheezing. When I checked my data I was working right at the top end of my heart rate zone 5, the maximum heart rate zone.


Usually i would expect to need an inhaler for this session, so this is progress. Maybe in time the powerbreathe will also help reduce the chest pain as well.

On wednesday I cycled a time trial. This is a full max effort 10 miles as hard and fast as you can go. It was a race so I had no inhaler. Again, I had the chest pain but no wheezing.

I am feeling very encouraged, and hope to continue making progress.

I was also able to move the powerbreathe up a level this week to number 4. Gradually getting there!

(originally published on Powerbreathe blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.