Thursday 21 July 2011

Powerbreathe trial week 4: a difficult week

This week started really well. I think the progress on POWERbreathe is good, and I am securely on level 4 now. BUT – the mind progress is less! I still carry the inhaler to the track, and I did another tough session with coach on Tuesday, chest hurt but I wasn’t wheezing. I think I took the inhaler through habit rather than necessity, and on the final sprint rep, didn’t take it at all, breathing was fine, chest was fine, I was fine, and heart rate was lower than to be expected.
All in all, it seems progress is still being made, and I need to get used to not relying on that inhaler as much!

However, the POWERbreathe use was halted on Saturday, when something mysterious happened when I was out cycling. I cannot remember a thing about the incident, but I was found in the middle of the road unconscious, by a passing motorist. I woke up in hospital and was admitted for observation. A shock to say the least.


What I learned from this episode? Helmets are VITAL!! Mine is smashed to bits, I have bad concussion and feel rubbish, and however, I am still alive!

More can be read about my accident here: http://melanieryding.blogspot.com/2011/07/helmets-save-lives.htm

And what is left of the helmet can be seen in the pictures on this blog.

Once I have recovered from the head injury I will resume with the POWERbreathe exercises, I think right now, I am too dizzy to manage it. Please please please wear a helmet, and please if you carry a phone, save a number in it called ICE (in case of emergency) this is how the police were able to locate my husband and identify me.

I am thankful for the very kind AMANDA who stopped to help and took care of me. I am glad there are still some kind people in the world.

(originally published on Powerbreathe Blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.