Sunday 31 July 2011

Phil Glenister: Helmets save lives

Helmets save lives, and without them, they don't.

It actually relates to my wife’s cousin, a teacher, whom was cycling to school several years ago, without a helmet on, on the last day of summer term.
He was hit by a car and went into a coma, which he never recovered from.

He left behind his wife and a young child, a few days later they were going to fly to New Zealand and spend much of the summer holiday in his wife’s homeland. Such a tragic story, leaving behind a young family , he was also talented and respected young teacher.

As a keen cyclist, road and off-road, I have always been aware of the need to wear a cycle helmet and the above experience of my wife’s cousin just brought that into much sharper focus.
I get very cross when I see cyclists not wear a helmet, it’s complete madness!!       

I would like to see legislation in this country that makes wearing a helmet compulsory, just like it is in Australia.

Phil Glenister

1 comment:

  1. I agree helmets should be made compulsary, just the same as motor bikes...myself or the kids never go on the bike without one and if they do not want to wear a cycle helmet then they don't go out period....However, some parents see their kids as their pride and joy but allow them to go out on bikes and scooters even without one on.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.