Sunday 13 November 2011

Biggleswade Cross Country; not just about going faster!

Today was a true NLP challenge for me. There was only one reason I actually decided to complete this race, well, actually 2.
1)    I am the cross country secretary and have all the race numbers and paperwork!
2)    I wanted a true mental toughness challenge!
I started this race knowing a few certainties:
·       I was NOT going to run my best or anywhere near it, because I only had 4 hours sleep after a late night where I was a speaker at the BHIT gala dinner
·       I was tired from a stressful week, and on top of that, a 1 hour heavy gym session and 2 hour tough bike session on Saturday (yesterday)
·       I very well might place my worst for a while.
Why did I bother? I will tell you why. I wanted to put my NLP skills to the ultimate challenge. Could I, through pain, tiredness and fatigue, remain focussed on the race, and doing the best I can? Yes, I could! Could I finish the race, probably (no, definitely) slower than usual, satisfied that I had achieved my goal? Yes I could!
I hurt, I ached, I was tired, and I was even asleep in the car on the way there! I felt awful. BUT, I was going to do the best I could. Coach said to me earlier in the week, the race, swim, bike and runs were the most important elements in my training this week. I remembered that. I didn’t manage my usual load, a lot of pressure at work. So much, I almost cracked. But NO. Focus on the small details, and eat that elephant one spoon at a time.
I stood back from the start line. This was my race, I was going to run it my way. I even gave myself permission to be last. I focussed on form (hamstrings and treetops is my strap line, to remind me to stand tall, and not just use my quads), setting off at MY pace. I disregarded everyone else. When I began to think about other runners, I focussed in again on me. Am I doing the best I can? Yes, then that’s good. I repeated that throughout the race religiously. I was tired, I felt slower, but I was doing the best I could. This was MY race, and this is not a race, it’s a training session for me, not a race.
I finished in the same place relative to other runners as I usually do, the guy who two weeks ago remarked that he recognised me by my hat and that’s why he chased me (no, I didn’t wear it!) finished just in front of me.
Did I do the best I could? Yes.
Was I satisfied with my performance? Yes.
Was I last? No!!
NLP mental toughness test: a success!!

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.