Thursday 30 December 2010

Do YOU believe in New Year’s Resolutions? I DO!!

Why not visit my most recent 2011-2012 blog that show you how to set effective New Years Resolutions that WILL WORK

I always set New Year’s resolutions. The difference for me is in recent years they have been short, simple, easy to achieve, and I leave them written on the write on-wipe off notice board above my computer ALL YEAR!

My 2010 resolutions were:
Laugh once each day!
Be more decisive!

I usually make my new year’s resolutions something I need reminding to do, something I don’t do enough, or something I need to learn to do more. With this in mind:

My 2011 resolutions are:
Spend more time with my husband
Always remember to look at the BIGGER picture

Why these? Because, I confess that sometimes I do spend a lot of time training and not a lot relaxing, so I need to remember that more, and hubby gets ‘left out’ some times, unintentionally I guarantee you. Also, my big problem is when I come upon an obstacle, I tend to think ‘catastrophe’ rather than remembering there is more to everything than what is happening in just that moment.

You think it’s a waste of time? Don’t know where to start? I surfed the net and found a selection of ‘popular’ New Year’s resolutions. A selection of the best (in my opinion!) is here:

1.     Learn something new
2.     Manage weight
3.     Save money
4.     Get into shape – one of the top 3 most popular new year’s resolutions people fail to keep!
5.     Read a new book a month
6.     Eat more fruits and vegetables every day. Make it a goal to add at least three
7.     Join a health club and go at least 3 times a week
8.     Build muscle. Remember, each pound of muscle burns an extra 40 calories a day while at rest!
9.     Take the stairs instead of the elevator
10.  Park further away
11.  Cycle to work / walk to work
12.  Get at least 8 hours of sleep each night
13.  Limit your sugar and fatty food intake
14.  Take a few vacations and weekend trips
15.  Take up a new hobby
16.  Take time for yourself
17.  Smile more often (it really is contagious)
18.  Have spa days
19.  Recycle more
20.  Be a more attentive parent, spouse, or friend
21.  Spend more time with your loved ones
22.  Make people laugh
23.  Bond with a family member that you don't see often
24.  Have family night at least once a week
25.  Have date night with your partner or spouse at least once a week

Tips for making resolutions:
1. Gather support from everyone around you.
2. Set realistic goals.
3. Keep it simple.
4. Distance yourself from places where temptation exists.
5. Focus on the rewards, not the punishment.
6. Set a target date.
7. Develop a plan.
8. Take the first step.



IF GETTING INTO SHAPE IS ONE OF YOUR RESOLUTIONS then read these: (some may require flash player)
http://www.melanieryding.co.uk/#/exercise-getting-started/4542940021 for simple ideas to get started from scratch with exercise
http://melanieryding.blogspot.com/2010/12/what-is-3-2-1-diet.html an easy non counting way to lose weight (I still follow this plan)
http://melanieryding.blogspot.com/2010/12/30-no-excuses-home-exercises-for.html 30 no excuses home exercises (mobile friendly version)
http://melanieryding.blogspot.com/2010/11/resistance-workout-at-home.html resistance work from home (mobile friendly version)


Becky White’s blog is worth a read if you need help with planning New Year’s resolutions: http://www.onesixeightfitness.com/blog/6-steps-achieving-your-new-year-fitness-resolutions

So, now you can tell me, what will your new year’s resolution be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.