Sunday 5 December 2010

The philosophy behind Strength and conditioning

This is based on a seminar I attended recently by David Sutton, UKSCA Accredited Strength Conditioning Coach and Sport Science consultant. This is my interpretation on the information I received. It’s certainly worth a read, I was surprised how interesting and engaging he was. He backed up all this theory with scientific research and practical demonstration. It’s kind of hard to get it all in, so I will summarise.
He started by explaining exactly how difficult it is to be an accredited strength and conditioning coach. He very cleverly applied all the theory across all sports, focussing particularly on triathlon.
Strength;
Is key, however research shows that there is no point at all in lifting weights for 12 or more reps. There is much more to be gained by way of performance by limiting reps and loading up the weight. His presentation quotes research papers to support this theory.
·        1-6 reps – 3-8 sets, (recovery 2-6 mins) effect is max strength.
·        8-12 reps, 2-4 sets, (recovery 30-90 secs)  effect is strength, hypertrophy, metabolic changes
·        12-15 reps, 1-3 sets, 9recovery 60 secs) effect – muscular endurance.
Therefore, heavier weights result in less reps, more strength, less fatigue, less time spent.

Running: Research states that runners who performed 3-5 reps of heavy weight significantly improved speed and V02. Resistance and endurance training in this way = significantly reduced 5k run time.
Cycling: effect of heavy strength work on thigh muscle size – similar Vo2 max improvements, 21% improvement on leg strength, no change in body weight, increased power output. 1 session of 2 x 6 heavy weights resulted in 14% performance gains in only 13 weeks.
Swimming: research shows that ankle flexibility significantly increases kick capability

Ankle flexion test was demonstrated - good flexion measured by how well you can bend your knee forward of your toe, while keeping your heel down on the floor. This was measured against at chair.

Drop in muscle mass = over training. It means you have a lack of calorie intake and a lack of recovery.
Loss of power = over training. (Strength – slower controlled load, power is more rapid a movement)

Transferrable exercises:
Transfer them all into a useful movement!! (add heavy load once the technique has been mastered)

Squats holding a pole above your head, strengthens core, and is directly transferrable into swim posture. I already did this exercise, however I didn’t know that it also had a core conditioning benefit also, but if you think about it logically, of course it would have, you are not using a machine to aid you!
Deadlift / squat – better core strength because it is the whole body approach
Straight arm pull down – relates directly to a swim movement
Split squat – make sure both feet are truly parallel and you are straight aligned throughout your body
Jump, hop and stick – on one leg – and hold. This is harder thatn you think without developing a wobble!
Single leg squats – we run one leg at a time!! – enhance ham string engagement by raising toes.
Seated row – you use arms in this action for running !!
Squats (incl triple extension, Olympic lifts)
Vertical and horizontal push / pull
Isometric stabalising – still important in cycling when you are aero for example!

Note: ageing results in muscle loss. There is no preventing it, all you can do is strengthen up so your high point before the drop off in your 40’s plus will be higher than your average peer. Nutrition is key, and so is rest.

Core strength myth:
We should not train muscles in isolation, and that goes for core training too. We use muscles dynamically in a whole body movement, so that is how we should train them.
Core x  Stability

Power all comes from the hip; this is the best way for max power. Any other technique results in compensation and therefore loss of performance.
Core strength training should be done on stable ground; there will be no loss of performance. It should also encompass the whole body approach. Isolating muscles will not help and in fact may result in loss of performance.

I was told that 1 min plus timed planks were pointless. He made me do 6 x 10 sec side planks, the rest gap was merely touch the hip down between sets very briefly. He also added load weight.

To see the full presentation powerpoint too, go here:
http://www.melanieryding.co.uk/#/strength-and-conditioning/4546299698 

My thoughts:

·        I have recently moved away from machines in favour of free weights. I do a lot of the exercises he listed, however not for core strength. I did not realise that they had so many other benefits!
·        I have heard more than one source say that runners need a strong engine and that means heavy weights. I was always a bit wary. I am in the 10-12 reps area currently, but UK athletics tell their coaches in training that runners need to be lifting very heavy weights.  Wasn’t sure when I first read that. I have already seen performance gains from adding strength work. I guess this is logical... stronger engine = faster car? What I didn’t know is that to get truly great improvements I need to jack on EVEN more weight and cut the reps! Sounds good to me, might get less bored!
·        Stability theory also makes sense. I found out the importance of stability when I tore a cruciate ligament!
·        There is some good research to prove the points here. I will definitely be trying the lower reps very heavy weight approach. There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain as far as I can see!
·        I never used machines to isolate muscles anyway, so I am glad I was right on that one!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.