Thursday 23 December 2010

Snow running - Why you SHOULD do it!!

I tried my first attempt at snow running tonight. I have to be honest, it didnt fill me with thrills for many reasons:
  • I'm rubbish on uneven surfaces as it is and sprain my ankle at the drop of a hat!
  • I still have a cold, and sitting here is much more preferable, its cold out there!
  • I had been ordered to run the whole run in zone 1 because I am still ill, which sounds BOOOOORING!
But, chickening out never got anyone anywhere, and the run is the area I can ill afford to chicken out on so, I donned my many layers (full thermals, running tights, fleece running top, coat, neck roll, hat and gloves!) put on my trail shoes, (innov8 flyroc) grabbed my ipod and off I went.

I teeter tottered down the street (nun-necessarily I expect!) and when I rounded the corner, decided I had better start running at some point, this was after all a run, not a walk!

I found myself tottering in a jog kinda style down the hill. I thought to myself, it'll be fine when I get to the path at the bottom (which goes through a park). I'm sure i looked comical, wrapped up to the nines and all.

Once I got onto the path, which was thick compacted snow (thick enough not to have turned to ice) I found that actually, if I ignored for a moment that I was surrounded by the white stuff, then the trail shoes on the snow behaved rather like they did on their usual terrain, fields and mud. Actually, it was fine, and once I stopped tensing up, worrying about whether I'd slip or not, and actually ran like I normally did, lengthened the stride again, put my shoulders back down, and looked ahead and not down at the floor (after all, what was the snow going to do that looking at it would help me with!?) then actually, it was just like any other run. I was amazed at how easy this was compared to my perceptions! So, go ahead, try it. Honestly, its just like cross country running, and it will do wonders for your leg and core strength!!! (Not to mention the beautiful snowy wonderland you get to look at!)

There are a few things I would suggest you are mindful of though:

  • try and run on thicker snow. it doesn't matter if its compacted down by feet, you will still be fine!!
  • Dont run on snow if you have only got a thin covering, its likely to be too thin and with just be icy
  • Be careful near bridges, underpasses, etc, where water may have melted and dripped off. I almost went flying when coming out of an underpass because the drips had formed into ice.
  • Dont assume that hopping onto the road will be better, it will often be worse!
  • try and run on snow that is less trodden, be careful if you are running on paths close to buildings, look out for ice, also be careful when crossing roads and driveways
  • slushy and melting snow will be tougher to run on, so expect that. Keep running with confidence, and remember its all making you a stronger athlete!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.