Tuesday 4 October 2011

Head injury week 11: the clinical psychologist

Been back at work for a couple of weeks now. The load is still proving to be a challenge. I am not sure how much is me and how much is the fact that I do in fact have more work to do. It’s hard to separate the symptoms. I do know that my memory is proving to be a challenge though!

An App to save me!
I just can’t remember all the stuff that I need to remember! But... fear not, I have discovered a new app that may just save my life: Calengoo! It is a mobile version of Google calendar, which I already use, as does my family. BUT... it allows me to set reminders to my heart’s content when something is coming up that I need to remember! SMS, email, pop up, whatever, its fab! AND.... Google has task lists which is also a brill idea! I can just make mobile lists of stuff that I need to remember to do, wherever I am, just using my phone or Google calendar in the internet!
All I need to do now, is remember the stuff that I was trying to remember!

The clinical Psychologist
Got to say, I was a little concerned when I first got this appointment. I thought, as most people do, that seeing a psych means they think you are nuts! No, not at all. She explained to me that she was going to get some background, talk to me about what has happened, then over a period of several appointments, do a range of tests on me. She didn’t really say what they were for, but the special needs teacher in me quickly worked out what was going on!
I often do mental processing tests (called CTOPPS) on special needs students at school. They test mental processing skills, with a view to determining whether the student needs extra thinking time in exams.
I recognised several questions that were similar to these, and then understood. The tests are to see if my brain is working like it should do. There were memory tests, visual and mental recall, concentration, a whole range. It was quite tough actually. I am glad she is spreading them over three appointments, it took a lot of my brain power!
I have had two appointments so far. The final one is in a few weeks. I have a feeling that in principle, the brain is working ok, from non verbal feedback so far (practicing my NLP! Haha) but we will see.

Things I have noticed this week

  • If I have to do a lot of thinking, mental processing, etc. It can make me feel dizzy.
  • If I haven’t eaten for a while, I can feel dizzy, not something that I have ever noticed prior to the accident.
  • Being back training is tiring me out more than  usual. I think it will take me a while to adjust to the load.
But, look how far I have come already. I think I am nearly there. I hope I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.