Sunday 16 October 2011

40th Birthday bash

Magical mystery tour
I tried my hardest to stick by the theory I had about this birthday quite some months ago... go to bed on Friday and get up on Monday, thus passing it by completely and hoping no one will notice!
Nope... it didn’t work! I was dragged out of the bedroom at 10am on Saturday being ordered to get ready, we had places to go. Where? Who knows! As I am not the naturally curious ‘spoil the surprise’ sort, I didn’t ask any questions.  
Unexpected guests

Coombe Abbey Hotel

After an hour of driving, we roll up at a truly incredible location: huge long drive, large parkland, amazing looking building. It turned out to be ‘Coombe Abbey Hotel’. And, yes, it was an abbey once, 11th century building. Words could not describe the effect, decor, whole experience as I walked into the foyer of the building. It was all gothic arches, old fashioned furniture, nooks and crannies, and mood lighting. It looked like a museum. Truly incredible. And there in reception was my parents. Surprise number 1: they had come down from Lancashire for the occasion. I had a feeling there were many more surprises to come!

Me, Gabby and her husband

We settled into our rooms and I was told to be ready by 6.30pm. I was expecting perhaps a posh dinner, maybe my sister as another surprise guest, that’s about it really. When we got back to reception I could see my mum chatting to someone. The geography of the place meant I couldn’t see who till I got closer. It turned out to be an old University friend Gabby, who I haven’t seen for over seven years, when she invited me to her wedding! Stunned, I couldn’t believe it, what a fantastic surprise! It was the last person i expected and so so good to see them both. I mustn't leave it 7 years till the next encounter!



Abbots greeting, and everyone in costume!

Medieval banquet
We were going to dinner I was told. As we walked to the location of the dinner (a nearby courtyard building) I realised that I was in fact attending a medieval banquet! Everyone (almost) was dressed in costume! It was amazing!! The vaulted roofed building, dim lighting, period costumes and actors really made it stunning!

Princess Fanny has been naughty with the cook!





Mother thinks she's pulled!

We were greeted by an abbot, and led into the hall by a person in monks costume merely holding a candle. The whole hall was in candle light, and all we had was a knife, and some bowls. We were greeted, and a story unfolded! I can’t remember all   the history, but it involved Henry the 8th, dissolving of the monasteries. We started as peasants and soon were elevated to lords and ladies! There were many stories, including the queen, lord, the younger daughter who was a little ‘fed up of her virginity’ – far too much to mention, truly incredible. All the actors were hotel staff, they dances, sang (very funny songs!) you really felt like you were immersed in the story and the period in time. The dinner was soup, ribs (I was dead proud of myself because I actually ate them!) chicken, baked potato and salad, with apple crumble to finish. Quite a dinner, and it was all delicious! (as was the mead and the red wine!)

ermmmm

The hotel staff bent over backwards to look after you. When we came back to the room at the end of the evening, someone had turned back the bed covers and left us a weather forecast for tomorrow!

Thats not all
I thought that was enough surprises for one weekend, till the following morning, when i was about to go to breakfast when I was told I was not allowed to just yet! When I finally arrived at the breakfast bar, we had been given a separate room, and everyone was there waiting, with this incredible cake in the centre of the table.

Now I feel old!! On the left is my baby photo, and a dummy (the same shape as they used to be in 1971 - round). Apparently they are incredibly hard to find that shape these days, says mother!) On the right, a recent professional photo done by Unique capture, one mother sneaked aroung the internet to get hold of! She even located a swimmer / biker / runner set of figuerines and stuck them on in the right order. I was super ultra impressed with this cake. It seemed a shame to eat it, but gosh it was delicious!!

I would seriously recommend the hotel, the banquet, everything about Coombe Abbey hotel  to anyone! I had an incredible time, it was very well organised (and concealed!) and a thoroughly memorable birthday.

Thank you sincerely to all involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.