Saturday 7 May 2011

TYR Nest Pro – The Goggle revelation!

I am a bit of a traditionalist. I am not very adventurous, so when I find kit I like, I tend to stick with it. This could be construed as logical, or in fact as limiting, depending which way you look at it.
When I found aquasphere eagle goggles, about 5 years ago, I loved them. I had tried many other makes, and didn’t like them, but with these, I have had the same pair ever since, which I use for pool swimming. They are still good, don’t leak and are still going strong.


It took a little while to find the correct open water goggle though, and after many different models, I found aquasphere vista. I like it because it has a good seal, and great panoramic vision, and didn’t mist up like many others. I do find, though, that the seal is a little temperamental and can leak. I have found this with other OW goggles though, and so accepted it as perhaps normal. Maybe I have an odd shaped face. I always did wonder if it was because of the large surface area of the seal, which perhaps moves when I open my moth to breathe. No matter, the way I got round this is buy a new pair each season. I am not sure if this is normal or not, but I have, till now, accepted it as normal.
Then TriUK gave me TYR Nest Pro goggles. I looked at the teeny extremely light weight goggles and thought there is no way I can wear those!!
I bit the bullet and took them with me (along with many other pairs of my trusty aquasphere goggles just in case!) to the lake on Friday, to try them out. I usually either wear tinted or plain goggles. These are somewhere between, labelled as ‘frosted’.
At first it seemed strange to have such small goggles on, but very quickly, I came to absolutely love them. They sit snug, don’t move, don’t mist, don’t leak and panoramic vision is good. Usually after a lap or two I have to adjust my normal goggles, as they probably have started to let in water. Not these. They stayed fast for the whole 45 minute duration of my open water swim session. I was able to swim continuously without interruption. After getting used to the new fit, it was almost like I didn’t have any goggles on, or if I did, they felt like a great fitting pair of your best sunglasses. I never thought I could ever say that about goggles! The ‘frosted’ lenses allowed me to keep swimming till dusk, and still see clearly.
To date they are by far the best goggles I have every tried, much to my amazement. I can’t wait to see how they hold up as the season progresses.

1 comment:

  1. I switch between different goggles for a few years, but eventually stopped on the Nest Pro 2 or 3 seasons ago. I love 'em too.

    I even stock up on an extra pair or two just in case they ever discontinue them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.