Monday 23 May 2011

Eton Sprint Triathlon 2011 – Beijing World Qualifier




On the run up week to this race, I felt great. I had not been in a stress, had not been uber-analysing the lists, past results, the enemy, etc as I usually do. It really was going quite well. On race morning, though, it was a different matter. After calmly and rationally packing my kit the night before (without feeling the need to check and recheck), on race morning I began to feel quite sick with nerves. So much so I almost was unable to eat breakfast. ‘It’s just your body preparing you for success’ I told myself, like David Sutton, my strength coach has been telling me.
Horrendously high diagonal cross winds were certainly going to make for an interesting race. Out the window went the idea of a PB, for sure. Fast and flat course? Didn’t seem to matter any more! Hubby came to support, and was given strict supporters lines from my running coach, which he was asked to shout from the sidelines when I got to the run. (All reminders related to my run form!)

The Race:

SWIM
After a washing machine style jostle for clear water due to bad start position choice, it was a smooth clear swim, and great to swim in an open water lake with Lane ropes (aka rowing boat lane markers!) a little choppy at times with almost white water and waves, it was that windy. I concentrated on keeping focus throughout, and cleanly navigated T1 to start the bike course (minus the usual glasses – they had blown away from my position in the wind!








BIKE

Down one length of the lake, I was cycling into a diagonal cross / headwind and on the return, a diagonal cross / tailwind. It truly was hard, hard work. The wind made navigating nutrition and corners very tough, as not only was it very strong, but also very gusty. It took some serious concentration and control to not get blown off and to keep my heart rate out of the ‘danger zone’. I really think my strength and conditioning work helped me out heaps here!

RUN
The run was a 2 lap out and back – out into a head wind, back into a tail wind. Probably better than being the other way round! It was intensely difficult to stay focussed with the extra mother nature resistance training! I worked on my NLP and race plan before hand, in order to keep me focussed and in control throughout the run, and hubby’s run coach style orders also helped! I only lost one place (as opposed to my usual 12 or so!) and was able to finish the same way I started, focussed and strong.

Reflection
For a change, my thoughts now are the same as they were then. When I crossed the line it was with the conclusion that I had executed my race plan  that my triathlon coach Steve Casson and I had discussed exactly as I wanted to. I was confident in saying that at all times I did the best that I could in the conditions served to me on the day and would be happy with the result, regardless of the actual data outcome.

Positives:
·        I stuck to the plan, with regards to bike pacing, didn’t chase anyone down and didn’t sprint off into Time trial mode like I have a tendency to do!
·        I recognised when I had become unfocussed, and regained focus constantly throughout the run
·        I didn’t panic in the swim ‘washing machine’ and simply dealt with it
·        I didn’t care about others on the course, and didn’t give chase at any point.

Things I need to work on:
·        Think in advance, plan and spot a better swim start position
·        Focus on form even more so when I am running into a head wind – grit teeth and assure myself that I CAN do this!

RESULT:
I have just found out that this was my best result in a long while. I was 4th in my age group - best placing ever in a qualifying race, which means that I have already, after only one race, qualified for the World Championships in Beijing, September, 2011. Not only that but I have beaten two other women who were there also trying to qualify, another first for me. What a great start to the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.