Sunday 15 May 2011

Time Trial Journeys

I managed to get a few time trials in before the triathlons start in earnest this week.

Race 1 - Salcey Forest

It would be fair to say the first one didn't exactly go to plan!! It was only one week after being given my new Argon18 time trial bike. One might assume that a bike so new would not have time to loosen up yet? Oh no!



The route wasn't going to be a favourite of mine - but it was ok - this was just a tough training session, that's all! The race numbers were handed out - nice and early, number 7 with plenty behind me- it would be fine. At a 1min interval set off, it was very quickly apparent this would be a solo race, the chain came off before I even rounded the first corner, and the seat came loose at about 6 miles! Number 6 was long gone into the distance! Plus, I had to do the entire reminder in a semi standing position! (Ouch!) PB - nope - no-where near!!

Race 2 - Chelveston

This time I was hoping that the bike would behave itself. The complex seat post design on an Argon18 means it's very awkward to get to all the seat screws to tighten them. It took us lots of fiddling to get it tight again!

The race number are generally handed out in rough speed order. Last time I was given number 7, this time - number 22!!! I had some very skinny greased up shaved legged youngsters in FRONT of me... Aaaaargh!! Some were even wearing GB skin suits! (A spectator suggested that they would have bought them rather than earned them as they are readily available online! At least in triathlon, GB suits are only available for people who qualified!)

I decided quite early on that I had COMPLETELY the wrong number, and was genuinely worried I would be dead last!! It was motivation for my legs at least! A two lap course meant that I quickly started passing earlier riders which made me feel a lot better, but number 23 came past before I got half way through my first lap!

I began to turn my attention to number 24 who was still somewhere behind. He came past half way through my last lap, and went on ahead, on his single speed road bike!! Grrrr I thought but then, after letting him go, thought NO!!! He's not going to do that! I gave chase, but had let him get away so it took me the entire rest of the race to catch him. I thought I may actually run out of road. I saw the finish line fast approach so gave it everything I had. I think I JUST got him on the line - by a whisker!

It took me a good 5 minutes to recover enough to be able to speak to thank him- for making me realise that when I have reached the point where I think there is nothing more to give, there was in fact still quite a bit more! Point to note for next time I think!




2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you have a busy season ahead of you. How many events are you going to be doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have 5 races in 6 weeks - pretty intense!! Then i get a bit of a rest before the next lot! the tab at the top shows my race schedule :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.