Thursday 14 June 2012

Finding the positives in the negatives.

Another go at the same 10 mile time trial As a few weeks ago, however this one not quite to plan.
 
 
Am I worried? No. Here's why.

 
 
A few weeks ago I did this local time trial - and it was the first time in a couple of years. I came away thinking perhaps I wasn't dying as much as I should be, and was accused of dilly-dallying by a cyclist who FLEW past me at a roundabout. Oops.
 
 
This week I was determined to walk away knowing that was all I had. So you can imagine my surprise when I discovered it was a good 30 seconds slower.
  • I KNOW it was better focus than last time. I was first (not great - because there was no cyclist down the road to catch - even though I normally can't see them till at least half way) so I had to try to make sure I wasn't caught. Not my favourite place to be! BUT I focussed on me, my pedal stroke, my heart rate. Was the HR slacking? Were my legs still hurting? I focussed on the patch of road in front and nothing else, asking myself those questions over and over till the end. Yes, that was all I had that day.
  • I began to notice when I fatigued on the return leg and dipped my head that it made a huge difference to the aerodynamics around my aero helmet and I could feel the difference in the resistance. So it MUST have been more windy because I didn't notice that last week.
  •  last time I was home in plenty of time to have tea well before the race. This time I wasn't and had only had a snack and a carb drink. fuel is a massive reflection on sporting performance so this was a disadvantage before I even started
 
 
Normally it would bother me that the statistics are so much worse, however I don't care. why?
 
 
Because I gave all I could give and focussed well. That was the aim. Target achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.