Tuesday 19 June 2012

Collecting the Olympic Gamesmaker Uniform

I was dead excited about this, purely because I will have the kit that will be all over the TV in just a few weeks, when I join history in the making as part of a 70,000 strong volunteer team that will help make the Olympics happen.


It was a windy wet day when, in the shadow of the huge new Olympic torch sculpture outside the stadium, I approached the unassuming building with a sign attached to its corner, signalling that it was the UDAC – where I have to check in.

It was a precisely organised affair which involved following lines on the floor that led you to the next line that you had to join, in a sequence that meant that by the ‘check out’ you had everything you needed to make you a London 2012 Gamesmaker.

The moment we were given our accreditation passes we were told to wear them. I didn’t pay much attention to be honest, till I noticed that everyone seemed to be staring at each other passes to work out what everyone else was accredited to do. It was only then that I noticed that a lot of people were staring at mine. When I looked at it more closely, I noticed that I had clearance to seven different locations including the Olympic stadium, whereas most others were cleared for one or two locations! People started to comment on it saying how many things I appeared to be doing!

It was only then that I started to feel extremely privileged to be marshalling four Olympic events, the triathlon, roach cycling, road time trial and the marathon. I am still curious to learn what exactly it is that I will be doing in the Olympic stadium!

So here I am, an extremely proud Gamesmaker.... Let the games commence!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.