Sunday 20 May 2012

Race report: Eton World Qualifier no 1, 2012

Nervous apprehension I think would be a good way to describe my mood going into this race. Training had been going well, but this was not reflected really in the Eilat race times, as I suffered majorly from dehydration which really affected my run.

Therefore I really didn’t know if my training pre would translate well into racing. Also this year, there are many many new faces, and a sudden explosion in the interest in qualifying for the Great Britain team, making gaining that spot more and more difficult each year. Only Sunday will tell, eh?

Swim
I decided on a left had side start, as I had watched the previous waves and there wasn’t much space, everyone seemed to bunch to the right. As the starter did the count-down, the people pushed forwards, and I no longer had my front line spot. No matter, I could see who was in front and I knew I was a faster swimmer, so I would just need to do a sprint start and get clear water around me. This worked out well, and I settled into a steady stroke. I came upon traffic as I approached the first buoy, and a few zig-zag swimmers. I toyed with the idea of staying on their feet, but to do so I had to slow down, and the whole idea of drafting is for someone to pull you along, so I decided to pass, focussed back on my own stroke and had clear water back to the exit ramps. To be honest I thought it was a rather average swim for me, so I was very surprised to see I had taken almost a minute off my swim time from this race last year.
Bike

I noticed as I came through that fellow club mate Jo Love was already gone, to be honest I was rather shocked! Through T1 with rather more urgency than in Eilat, and off I went on the bike. Glad I had my elastic bands, I cannot count to four as well as being under the pressure of racing! Much better conditions than the gales of last year meant I could settle into my rhythm and focus on the pedal strokes, the speedometer and the effort level. Gradually I began to catch and pass people, and by lap two I had Jo back in my sights. I wasn’t sure I could pull out enough of a lead on her with only half the bike leg to go, but no matter, I focussed on my own race plan and carried on. Very happy with the average speed, it felt good.
Run

Through T2 onto the run and I knew this was where I had to focus the most. I have been working on some mantras to help me keep it together, and all was going ok, till I allowed external factors to get to me too much, I had lost the internal focus a little, and with that had taken the foot off the gas, and let the form go. I had a serious word with myself and dragged myself back together for the second and last lap. Hubby said I looked better, smoother and quicker on the second lap so my self-talking to clearly worked!
Since me and the ad matched, I had to get a photo!
Overall, I have no idea if I did enough to make it onto the team. I know one thing for sure, the competition this year is harder than ever, and the people trying to qualify is getting bigger than ever. Triathlon is becoming very popular.

All I can do is focus on me. If I look at that for a second, my swim was faster, my bike was faster (and it was 1.2km longer too!) and my run was faster than my race there last year. I can’t ask much more of myself than that.

Roll on next week, and qualifier number 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.