Sunday 6 May 2012

The Perishing Waters of Box End

I often wonder why I do what I do. Why was I up at 6am today, why was I even considering a dip in a lake when my car thermometer was telling me it was 4 degrees outside! Why are we considering this an improvement on the weather lately (today being dry and still and cold, rather than windy, rainy and cold!) This is May, isn’t it? Well, I thought it was!


I thought my first dip back in April was cold, when the ice cream brain never ever went away for the 45 min swim, and I needed periodic pauses to let the dizziness subside and the sight return. This is serious stuff, us Brits must have a screw loose!
Today there were around 30 swimmers. The triathlon race season starts in earnest next week, yet it still feels like winter. The thermometer in the shallow water by the cable hut was reading 7.5 degrees. Thankfully I didn’t notice this! I got in thinking WOW its cold in here, several were still standing on the side and some didn’t get in I don’t think.

I wasnt sure what to expect when I left the house to be honest, because the lake has been closed due to the fact that the area was flooded (the local river burst its banks). At the very least, murky water was fine by me, it means i cannot see the fish!



I was surprised to discover that the intense freeze brain feeling that I got at first did actually go away after a while, when my body became accustomed to the very cold water. Here’s me thinking it’s a little warmer than on my last visit, when my head didn’t stop hurting till I got out of the lake!
People poked fun at my ‘gimp hat’ and socks, but as I strutted to the lakes edge, I declared loudly that I didn’t care how stupid I looked, they would be laughing on the other side of their faces when they leap out because they cannot cope with the cold! Rightly enough, I was one of very few who actually did 3 x 850m laps, although I did have to pause for a moment at the end of each one to let the dizziness subside.
By the time I got out I could no longer feel my feet or hands and I was starting to slur my words, my face was so numb.
Grazy? Well ‘Ard?
I’ll let you decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.