Thursday 2 February 2012

Melinda Hewitt: Helmets save lives

April 19th 2011 was a lovely day. I'd picked up my bike from the shop after getting it serviced and was really looking forward to riding home. It's only 24 miles or so and although it is uphill, it's not an unpleasant ride. My partner was going for a run with colleagues before he came home so I sent him a text to let him know what time to expect me back then he could plan dinner for us.

We were both training for events, he was doing an ironman, me a few sprint distance events, and we were both looking forward to riding the c2c with a group of his colleagues later in the year.

I set off from work around 5, it was such a gorgeous evening, I didn't have a jacket on, just a short sleeved top, I did have my helmet on though! Thank goodness. I've always worn one, more because I make the children wear one, and that's because I remember a young boy in the intensive care unit of the hospital alongside my son who had fallen from his stationary bike and had a blood clot on his brain. I'm a cautious cyclist too. I'm very aware of my vulnerability when I'm not surrounded by my safety features in my car!

I was less than 2 miles from work when I was crossing a junction and a driver who hadn't seen me turned into it. It's weird seeing a huge bonnet coming at you knowing there isn't a thing you can do to get out of the way. I bounced off the bonnet and hit the floor head first, hearing the crack of my helmet as it struck the concrete made me feel sick. That could have been my head! Thankfully the only real casualties were my bike and my helmet. They were both broken beyond repair, I however suffered only severe bruising and soft tissue injuries.

So, it's thanks to my helmet, the 2 district nurses who Looked after me until the ambulance arrived and the hospital staff and physio who fixed me. I've replaced my helmet as I have another bike and I will NEVER ride without one!

Melinda Hewitt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.