Sunday 18 December 2011

To cross country race or not, that is the question..

Tough decisions today. The league race, but it was an hour away, plus, I had no team, oh, and a very sick cat. What to do...?

After attempting to get hold of anyone who might turn up, I decided to stay home. I could run in the local country park instead. Tough though, I NEVER don't race the cross country.


So I needed a plan B. the local country park, that's what I would do.

Armed with phone, in case the vet rang, and Garmin to make sure I wasn't slacking, of I went. Typically, just after I started, a runner texting me to say he was there where was I? I ignored it.


I ran. I could feel my heart rate, breathing, feet on the icy paths. I know without looking when I am at the right HR pace. It started to snow lightly. I could feel the flakes melting on my face, cheeks, eye lashes. I felt great. I decided to run for the same approximate time I would have if I was racing. The country park is a mixture of paths and grass / mud, probably a little easier than a xc race, but never mind. It was cold, I was wrapped up in more layers than ever this year so far. I was going great, almost starting my last lap, when the phone rang.


It was the vet.





Apparently Smokey is no better, is not responding to the drugs, and it could be much more serious, it could be leukaemia. More tests will be needed.

I felt a tear rolling down my cheek, then another. I had to go and visit him. The vet would only be there for a while.


No lap 3, straight back to the car, a gentle soul sobering jog back to get changed (I kind if knew this would happen - I had trousers and sweat shirt in the car) and off to the vet I went.


Although Smokey was looking brighter than the last time I saw him, and pleased to see me, the Vet explained that the rest of the next round of tests tomorrow would be critical.

 Cross country or not cross country? Today, it was right to not go.


Now my thoughts and prayers are with smokey, as I hope he is able to make a smooth recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.