Monday 5 September 2011

Newmarket Duathlon: I think I prefer TRIATHLON!

On Saturday afternoon I was asked by JustRacingUK if I would mind representing them and going over (along with hubby who also volunteers to work for them,) to Newmarket Duathlon to take the bike racking that they had hired.

No problem, I thought. Then I was asked did I want to do the race while I was there? 2.5k-14mile-2.5k - seemed ok, so I took the spare bike and some shoes (the argon already packed for China!)

Racking set up - race organiser says he has a number for me, then I realise that in reality it was 2.5miles-14miles-2.5 miles. Oh! Now that's a whole new ball game!




Oh well, I'm here, I had to train anyway so decided I may a well.

I had no idea of the routes at all, not being local so asked someone to explain to to me just before the race! Usually I at least drive the bike route!


Run no.1


Well, it was immediately apparent that everyone here were mostly runners that did a bit of cycling! They set off like a bolt and very soon I was close to the back! I had decided NOT to race this race, with a world champs to do soon after, so it was only training.

Despite that, I came in from run1 and there were only a few bikes left, I was almost last! Great!! I'm even worse at this than triathlon!!


Bike


I used the cervelo with training wheels and decided I was just going to treat it as a ride. The locals were reporting an awful hill on the lap, which I had to do three times. On the first lap, my legs were screaming and the hill did feel like a hill. Run-bike is a silly order!! Despite that, I passed several people all round the lap and most of those on the 'hill'!


The second and third laps l realised as my legs became more 'normal' that the hill wasn't a hill at all, it was a small rise!! Several more people overtaken around the lap, and a few more each time I got to the 'hill'. So, these people were all runners then eh? ;)

run 2

I was expecting to come into my own at this point - bike-run is normal after all, right? WRONG!

Try it after running first, oh dear!! At this point my legs decided enough was enough!! At least it was only 2.5 miles!

No idea how I did, but I do know this: it's not over till it's over!

I started the bike almost last and did not finish the race in that position.

But, if you think triathlon is a piece of cake - then I challenge you to try this! It will take your leg pain to a whole new level!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.