Friday 19 November 2010

The hilarious goings on on the track this week!

I did a run training session today with Kieth Molloy, my run coach. He was under orders from Steve Casson, my triathlon coach, to go easy on me because it is recovery week. I asked him last week what he had in mind, I was told 'agility'. this meant nothing at all to me!!

I turned up on friday, very foggy, dark, track lights are off. I thought, hmm, what on earth might he have in mind? He told me that we were going to do an easy 3 mile run, then some resistance work. Ok, harmless I think. So off we set. First mile all uphill. I had been told last week that my running posture was much better, and Kieth said the same today, told me i was running up hill much better too. I looked at the watch, average for me. I kept going. At the top, I thought, ok, rest is flat or down, I am going to now focus just on form. Easy pace, focus on form. SO I concentrated on hips forward, driving off the foot, arms in the right places, with Kieth chuntering at me  all the time as a reminder. I didnt look a the watch at all. I have been taught to know on feel. it still felt ok, so I carried on. Sometimes statistics are my downfall, and i see good numbers and think EEEK! and slow down.

At the end of mile 2, the watch vibrated. I took a glance, wow, I thought, this pace is good, for what feels 'ok'!! I had one more mile, along the flat. mile 3 is usually my undoing in a race, so I stayed very focussed, on form, still getting my timely reminders from Kieth, and aimed not to lose any of that pace on mile 3 (because I usually do!) It still felt ok, and I stayed focussed. Towards the end of mile 3 I knew it was no longer an easy HR, but there wasnt far to go, I was going good, i would stay focussed and see how I can do. The moment it vibrated for 3 miles, I slowed and looked at the split. The last mile was 1 minute 20 seconds faster than the first, and around 45 seconds faster than what I might expect to be my average pace on that run. I was rather impressed considering it was a steady run, not a hard effort (probably helped by the fact that it is recovery week!

Then the fun began!!

Kieth went to his car and got out a contraption rather like this.




What on earth is that i wondered. He then explained. I couldnt help but laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh!! I was very glad at this point that it was dark (and foggy) and there was no-one around...




because this is what you do with that... Oh yes!! It is like being taken for a walk!! I went first, and it was only 60 metres. 60 metres... I'm glad it was no further!! When i set off i felt like i was tied to a lamp post!! Then, as i got going, it felt like any moment now he would let go, and i would go cattapulting across the track like a rag doll! I didnt even get to the finish line before I was laughing!! He kept telling me it wasnt funny, this was good resistance training that would strengthen the drive on the foot. But I was still laughing!!

Then I got to have a go 'on the reins' so to speak! When he set off, I am quite sure it wasnt the same because I was suddenly lurched forwards and felt like I was taking a REALLY big dog that I cant quite control for a walk!!!

4 lots of 60 metres like this and I thought I was going to collapse!! It still makes me laugh now! When he set off to go home, he put the harness in the boot, in case passers by thought he has some strange bondage fetish!!

I bet a man thought up that idea for run resistance training....!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.