Thursday 30 June 2011

Melanie in the running to carry Olympic torch

A county teacher and triathlete has been nominated to carry the Olympic Torch.

Published in the Northants ET
30 June 2011



Members of the public are being encouraged to nominate the person they believe most deserves to carry the Olympic Flame as it tours the UK and Melanie Ryding, of Wellingborough, has been one of the first to be picked out.


Mrs Ryding, who lost nearly 30kg after taking up triathlon, has represented Great Britain for the past three years.

And having been inspired by breast cancer sufferer Jane Tomlinson Mrs Ryding, who teaches special needs children at Rushden Community College, admitted it would be an honour to get to carry the torch.

She said: “It would mean the world to me, I know people say it about a lot of things, but this really is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

“I’ve volunteered to be a marshal at the Games as well because I’d really like to be a part of it.
“As yet I still haven’t heard back about that but I know it will be very competitive to be selected.
“I didn’t start doing triathlons for any publicity but it’s great to know that I have inspired some people.

“I was inspired by Jane Tomlinson, and if I can inspire just one person that would be great.”
Mrs Ryding was also keen to pay tribute to Rushden Community College for the support they have given her in competing in triathlons.

And she admits that without it, there is no way she would be able to wear British colours and travel the globe.

To nominate yourself or someone else to be a London 2012 Olympic Torchbearer with Lloyds TSB, visit www.lloydstsb.com/carrytheflame before September 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.